The name of Captain Alexander Locke should be familiar to all of us as it’s his name that appears on the front wall of the chapel. It was he who laid the foundation stone on 26 February 1891 before a large gathering and addresses, presumably in the open air, were given by three people – Mr J.S. Hanson, Mr E.P. Evans J.P. and Capt Locke himself. By way of interest there is an account of this seemingly very colourful character in the November 1895 Banner (the magazine of Worcester Baptist Church). He was born in 1802 and died 23 September 1895 aged 75, so he was 71 when he performed this ceremony. Well, in less than four months, the new chapel (less the back room) was ready for use. It was opened for public worship on 11 June 1891. Rev J.T. Wigner, an ex-President of the Baptist Union, preached on a text from Psalm 84, ‘Blessed are they that dwell in Thy house’ and we are told that the attendance was large. The service was continued in the evening at Sansome Walk with the same preacher. The first regular evening service was on 14 June when the preacher was – who else! – Mr Mayglothling and this was preceded by an open air meeting. At this time, according to the records, Mr James Jones and Mr Burden were joint chapel superintendents (a job share even in those days, even if unpaid!).