So much for the early days of the Sunday School. Let’s go back now to other aspects of church life. The annual Year Books printed in those days are quite helpful here as each one gives a brief account of the work at the Mission.
The 1890 Year Book tells us that services were held at 6.30pm each Sunday with Sunday School at 9.30am and 2.30pm. In addition to the joint Superintendency of Mr C Burden and Mr James Jones, we learn that Mr J Everett was Secretary, Mr H Westbury Clothing Club Secretary and Miss M Hill Harmoniumist. 25 were on the roll of the Band of Hope. The report indicates that ‘the teachers are looking anxiously forward to their entrance upon the new building in a few weeks’ time, when they will be able to carry on their work under better conditions.’
This is what is said in the 1898 edition:
‘Red Hill is often filled with earnest worshippers and one feels it is a privilege to have an opportunity of speaking to such an audience. There have been occasional services at Kempsey on weeknights but here again, Red Hill is to the front with well attended services every week.’
And again in 1901:
‘Red Hill is frequently full of attentive worshippers whose faces are a source of inspiration to those whose privilege it is to preach the word. The choir render excellent service and is to be commended for its good work. A desire having been expressed for a monthly celebration of the Lord’s Supper, arrangements are being made to that end.’
The first communion service was held on 12 May 1901.